Sunday, October 21, 2007

Online and lonley

It is hard for me to picture this virtual world with which companies are now involved. In Ecuador, and other parts of the world, we are not yet so technologically advanced. Most of the things are still done face to face. We have a meeting room, we still take a plane when we need meet a client or a partner, and definitely our teams meet in person and not in the virtual world.

Although it’s hard for me to imagine it, I believe that this is great for businesses. It saves time, money, space and countless other things. In addition, things are more effective and fast, the time previously spent in a plane is now spent online, discussing or creating ideas. So in that sense I believe that these new technologies have really come in handy, specially at this point in time where everything is so globalized.


However, it also scares me. I can’t really judge because I haven’t yet seen it work but I personally believe that it is better to meet face to face. While it really helps businesses, I think this harms societies. Now a days, there is no need to meet face to face with anybody. I think that people need that interaction, not only because it helps them know the person better and get to know what their strengths are, but also because there is a certain satisfaction from sharing real time with people. It scares me to think that in a near future we won’t have the need to leave our desks. Everything will be done online, and times in the office are going to become sad and lonely.

2 comments:

Abdul said...

I think the right answer is to use a mixture of both face-to-face meeting and virtual meetings to get work done. I agree that more rapport can be built face-to-face, but we should look at the communication tools that we have as ways to supplement face-to-face interactions and not replace them. I think the trend is definitely toward more globalization and work through virtual teams.

Murtuza said...

I come from a similar background. Technology in Oman is not quite up to par with the United States. Most people back home would not even consider the option of holding a meeting over the internet, as they are simply not familiar with the concept.
I think the culture itself needs to evolve a little bit more before people start holding meetings and making decisions over the internet