Sunday, October 7, 2007

Making the Best out of Technology!

Technology does just about everything nowadays. It’s freaky to think that people can know where I am not because they call me but because my cell phone is tracked down. It seems like little of our privacy is left. Our information has become public. Everybody can know who we are, what we do and where we are standing at that second. All these things can be overwhelming; I personally don’t think I could handle people knowing where I am at or what I am doing. However, I find other aspects of technology to be interesting and extremely useful.

Being able to sign up for a terrorist alert could save the life of millions. Further, allowing citizens to report on current issues with their own perspectives is a great step forward in journalism. News agencies have lost their credibility in the past couple of years. In addition, most of them are limited on what they report and most of the time they don’t tell the whole truth and entire story. Enabling citizens to report whatever they see how they see it is a great advantage. People can now see more of the truth than they do in regular news.

Therefore, technology can be overwhelming and misused sometimes. However, it can be used for good causes that will help shape the world differently and the way we see it. So I believe that instead of putting our efforts to be able to find each other through cell phone tracking we should put it in things that allow us to grow and change for the better.

1 comment:

Abdul said...

While I agree that news agencies have lost their credibility in recent years, I still think that they have a level of professionalism and quality control (editors) that makes them more credible than the average Joe on the street. For example, if I’m reading a business article, if it is written by a Wall St. Journal writer or a Fortune writer, it immediately has more credibility to me than a citizen writer. I know that this is not correct 100 percent of the time, but its probably true at least 90 percent of the time.